Lemon and Herb Butter Roasted Chicken
This roasted chicken recipe BELONGS on the dinner table for your family feast. It’s flavorful and super moist. MAKE IT. I know whole chickens and turkeys can be a bit intimidating, but I promise you it’s well worth the little bit of effort! Try out this recipe and let me know what you think =)
- Chicken Brine, in notes below (optional, but recommended)
- One 5-6 pound chicken, at room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary plus 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon minced thyme plus 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 lemon, cut crosswise into 8 rounds
- Preheat the oven to 425° and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- In a bowl, mix the butter with the minced garlic, minced herbs and the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove giblets from the chicken cavity. Rinse and Pat the chicken dry. Rub half of the herb butter under the skin and the rest over the chicken; season with salt and pepper.
- Set the chicken breast-side-up on a rack in a roasting pan. Stuff the hollow chicken cavity with the onion, lemon, garlic cloves and herb sprigs.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour and 15 minutes in the oven, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (or until juices run clear when slicing).
- Remove from heat, and baste with drippings from pan. Cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest about 30 minutes before serving.
- BRINING: Brining your chicken or turkey is a great extra step to take help make your meat juicier and more tender. Submerge whole chicken or turkey into a gallon of water (or enough to cover the top of meat). Add one cup of salt, two halved lemons, and two bunches of herbs [parsley, tarragon, chives, thyme, etc]. Refrigerate overnight or at least for six hours.